Beerfarm Cider-Glazed Chicken Normande
Cider-Glazed Chicken Normande
Serving - 4 people
Cook Time - 2.5 Hours
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1.8kg whole chicken in quarters
- 100g bacon
- 2 white or brown onions
- 300ml Beerfarm Cider
- 3 Granny Smith Apples
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 300ml double cream
- Preheat your oven to 170°C
- Cut your bacon into 1cm strips, finely chop your onions and feel and cut your apples into wedges.
- In a large flameproof casserole with a lid, melt half of the butter over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then cook each side for 2 minutes or until they're perfectly golden. Set the chicken aside and let it take a little break.
- Now it's time to introduce the bacon and onions! Throw them into the casserole and let them cook together for about 6 minutes, or until the bacon is golden and the onion is feeling soft. Bring back the chicken to the casserole and pour in the Beerfarm's Cider and let it all reach a boiling point. Once that happens, cover the casserole, pop it in the oven, and let it roast for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- During the final 10 minutes of roasting, grab a frying pan and melt the remaining butter over medium-high heat. Add the apple slices and sprinkle them with some sugar. Let them sizzle and turn occasionally until they become golden and delicious. Give them a little squeeze of lemon juice for some acidity and then remove the pan from the heat and cover it to keep the apple slices warm.
- When the casserole is ready to take out of the oven, turn off the heat and transfer the chicken to a baking tray. Put it back in the oven to keep warm while we work on the sauce. Place the casserole over high heat and bring the cooking juices to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they're slightly reduced and full of flavour.
- Stir in the Dijon mustard and cream, and let the sauce simmer for another 5 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally until the sauce beautifully coats the back of a wooden spoon. That's when you know it's ready!
- Transfer the sauce to a serving dish and place the chicken and apples on top. Sprinkle some micro parsley for that final touch and serve this masterpiece with mashed potato.